Friday, March 28, 2008

urban jungle

I'm ALWAYS weary of thematic trends. Nautical, for example, generally feels very costumey to me (probably because I'm not a boat person, so I feel like a poser).

I admit, I was hesitant to explore the whole Safari thing. On the surface it seems harmless enough: a little khaki never hurt anyone, and I DO adore leopard print (who doesn't?)...still, I questioned, "will I look chic? or will I look like Indiana Jones' crazy sister?"

I didn't become a true convert until I had to adapt a Safari look for a recent episode of NWA. I had more than a little help from my lovely friends at Marios; we built a sophisticated look around the sleekest, splurge-worthy Dolce & Gabbana leopard print jacket ever. The result was gorgeous and slightly edgy. So perfect.

Now I'm sold, and I urge everyone to explore Safari. Here are some tips to help you venture safely:
Tip 1: only one animal per outfit. Think of it this way: if a leopard encountered a zebra in the wild, the result would be pretty gruesome and ugly. That translates to fashion!
Tip 2: Pair your bold pieces with sleek basics. For NWA, we paired the Dolce coat with classic black pants, simple black heels and a crisp white shirt.
Tip 3: Don't forget to add color! A pop of bright turquoise or red (think shoes, jewelry or bags) will make your outfit come alive.

I created some looks here to get you started: Safari for casual weekend, professional work attire, and glam cocktail! Enjoy!

No comments: